It may not feel like winter, but our in-season veggies certainly prove that it is. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes have been the staples around here, and even though I’m all for my usual stir-fry, sometimes we need to spice things up! Thank goodness for spicy Italian sausage! It’s a great complement to many winter veggies, adding a bit of heat and excitement to a number of meals. Throw in some fennel (a new favorite!) and you’ve got a burst of flavor!
Today I’m sharing a flavorful winter pizza (I told y’all I’m a pizza girl!), plus a few favorites from our Pinterest board: In-Season Recipes.
Spicy Sausage & Fennel Pizza
- 1 recipe thin crust pizza dough
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage, browned well
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Pizza sauce: 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 minced garlic, 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Parchment paper, pizza peel (or cookie sheet), pizza stone
- The day before, make your pizza dough. An hour or so before making the pizza, take out the dough and let it rise.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees.
- Brown the sausage, and drain well.
- Prepare your veggies: slice up the fennel bulb, onion, and jalapeno. You can also add a bit of cooked kale if you’d like to make it extra wintry!
- Cut out a piece of parchment paper to cover the pizza peel. Place your dough in the center, and gently push out so you have a nice thin circle of dough with a slight ridge around the edge.
- Spoon a bit of pizza sauce on the dough and spread with a spoon. Sprinkle a handful of mozzarella choice, then top with the sausage, fennel, onion, and jalapeno.
- Slide the pizza (including the parchment paper) onto the stone and bake for 6 or so minutes. Enjoy!!!
Here are a few of the tools that I use and love!